23.2.10

Not where I thought I would be...

So, the latest developments of this project have been somewhat unexpected. Having produced a lot of research about the terrain vague, theory of the sublime and collective memory, I have moved towards the idea of designing a monastery at Stanley Dock.


This is not exactly what I had thought would be the typology for my final thesis design project, however, after careful evaluation, it can be said that this site lends itself perfectly to the criteria needed for a monastery - solitude, silence, simplicity, a place to surrender, a place to provoke contemplation and a place to reflect.


As a result, further investigations into who I would be designing for began. And behold.... The Carmelites of Liverpool, a small monastery located in the West Derby area of the city, who are currently looking to relocate to gain a more contemplative lifestyle away from the noise of its current site.


I spent 3 days at the monastery, living the life of a sister. Whilst I can wholeheartedly say it is not the way of life I would choose, I did gain a solid and deep understanding of how a monastery works on a day to day basis. I was also lucky enough to sit in on the architects meeting which discussed some of the key design issues - the chapel, the parlour and the cells. The architects working on the scheme are Austin-Smith: Lord, a large firm with an office in Liverpool. The site of the new monastery for the Carmelite Sisters will be at Maryton Grange, a leafy suburb in south east Liverpool.... somewhat different to Stanley Dock!


Here are a few keys images from my monastic visit.


The approach to the monastery - high brick wall and solid iron gateway

The refectory - the nuns eat here in silence at every meal time
The cloister walk - one of the most peaceful places
The view into the Sister's Choir through the grill, from the main Chapel
The view from my bedroom window, into the courtyard. The steps in the middle lead up to the Main Chapel
I would like to thank Sister Mary of the Carmelites and all the other sisters for such an interesting few days at the monastery, for providing me with a lot of valuable information to help with my project and for their kind hospitality - I have never eaten or slept so well! - the monastery really was a place of silence and solitude.


No comments:

Post a Comment